Friday 6 July 2007

Monkey Business


There seems to be a dual population in Shimla, the alternative inhabitants swing from trees. Not only do they swing from trees they sit on benches, window ledges and chimney pots. They pad nonchalantly along the roads occasionally stopping to inspect their fingernails or chat to a friend.

On my morning walk to class today one little fella was sat munching on a corn cob. He finished his meal and then sat there with his hands held aloft clearly in need of a finger bowl.

I don’t need an alarm clock here. There is a juvenile group that meet for their morning aerobics in the tree outside my window at 6am every day. They play a game which seems to involve rebounding on my balcony window as much as possible. I tried to join in once and that’s the first time I’ve seen them laugh.

Also they charge an exorbitant amount for their picture taking.

The other morning, sticking to my usual ritual, I opened my balcony door and savoured the morning air (no pongy smells this morning for a change), then put the kettle on and charged into the bathroom for my shower. I had previously been shopping and arranged some fruit on the table, bananas, pears, and a half pound mango just ripening nicely. You can guess what scene awaited me when I came out of the bathroom, 2 full families of monkeys were passing the time of day chomping on my bananas and chucking the skins all around the room. Wouldn't mind much bit it meant I went without breakfast, and my half pound mango had disappeared as well!

Hmm, definitely a bunch of Cheeky Monkeys.

1 comment:

Ms.N said...

hey - belated birthday wishes..

and yea- monkeys are a common phenomena out here... sometimes a little scary - but nice to watch at a distance!